The Translational R&D Grant (TRANS Grant) initiative supports translation of R&D into applications and taps on the research community to solve public sector challenges with innovative use of digital technology.
This grant initiative is in support of Singapore’s Smart Nation and Digital Government drive, and is jointly managed by the Government Technology Agency of Singapore (GovTech) and the National Research Foundation (NRF).
Eligibility and Evaluation Criteria
Problem statements are gathered from government agencies and assessed if they meet qualifying criteria (i.e. no commercially-ready solution) for TRANS Grant application.
TRANS Grant applications are then evaluated based on:
- Level of capability building, including technical and scientific merit of project
- Scale-up and commitment by agencies
- Alignment with whole-of-government / agency’s digitalisation plan
- Potential industry application and value
- Cost and schedule
About the TRANS Labs
A total of S$25m has been awarded to 3 TRANS Labs from A*STAR, NTU and SMU. The capabilities* of TRANS Labs include (but are not limited to) the following:
||Capability Areas* (include but not limited to)
|Agency of Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR)
- Data Analytics
- Visual Analytics
- Speech & Human Language Technologies
- Natural Language Processing
- Cybersecurity & Forensics
- AI/Deep Learning
- Privacy Preserving Data Computation (with a variety of techniques such as homomorphic encryption, etc.)
- Enabling Technologies for AV
- Wireless Communications and Internet of Things
- Sensor Networks
- Localisation and Tracking
- Optical Fiber Sensing for Structural & Asset Health Monitoring
- Smart/Micro Grids Analytics
- Environmental Sensing and Analytics
- Smart Mobility Solution
- Small Satellite for Communication and Tracking, and the Associated Data Services Applications
- Neural Decoding and Brain Computer Interface
- Medical and Ocular Imaging
- AI for Health
|Nanyang Technological University (NTU)
- Data Science & Artificial Intelligence
- Machine Learning
- Data Mining
- Computer Vision
- Natural Language Processing
- Data Visualisation
- Distributed and Parallel Computing
- Data Centre Management
- Urban Mobility
- Healthcare ICT
- Services Productivity
- Security Formal Verification
- Mobile Security
- Software Security
- Autonomous Vehicles Security
- AI and Block Chain Security
- Smart Aging in Place
- Humanized AI Research
- Early Detection of Parkinson Disease
- Humanoid Social Robots
- Immersive VR/AR
- AR/VR for Pedagogy
- Smart & Sustainable Building Technologies
- Robotics and Unmanned Systems
- Internet of Things
- Wireless Communication
|Singapore Management University (SMU)
- Scalable, Real-time & Predictive Analytics on:
- Social Media + Enterprise Data
- IoT & Sensor Data
- Geospatial & Urban Mobility Data
- Applied Machine Learning & AI:
- Chatbots & Recommender Systems
- Natural Language Processing & Text Analytics
- Image & Video Analytics
- Optimization of Urban Operations:
- Data-driven Planning & Scheduling
- Transportation & Logistics
- Commuting & Crowd Management
- Mobile & Wearable Systems:
- Indoor Occupancy & Location Sensing
- Gesture & Activity Recognition
The following list of projects has been funded under TRANS Grant. Where applicable, you can leverage these funded solutions to customise to your requirements.
|TRANS Lab: A*STAR
||Customised Government Machine Translation Engine
||Use of machine translation technology to produce a more accurate and contextualised translation engine using past translations as input. The final Chinese-to-English and English-to-Chinese engines are already delivered and currently in use. Work is currently in progress to develop the Malay-to-English and English-to-Malay engines.
||Quantifying a Transit System Resilience Measure using a Complex Network Approach
||A decision-making framework based on resilience metric to assess the network resiliency of introducing new lines and/or bus routes in the event of service breakdowns.
||Privacy Preserved Data Collector (PDC) & Privacy Preserved Data Analyzer (PDA)
||Collect and integrate anonymised individual data from different sources with 100% accuracy while still maintaining privacy of the individuals without a pre-shared key.
||Integrated Real-time Structural Health Monitoring (SHM) Platform for Residential Building
||An integrated real time system to monitor structural health of high rise HDB buildings and to identify any early distress sign.
||Trademark Examination for Class Recommendation and Distinctiveness
||An AI based system with machine learning and statistical learning and models to automatically recommend relevant classifications of goods and services for trade mark applications, and measure the distinctiveness of a given word mark.
||Transforming Public Sector Payment Internal Audit through Predictive Analytics
||Develop an advanced analytics system powered by AI and Machine Learning to facilitate the audit and review of payments.
||Email Processing and Question & Answering System
||An Email Processing and Question & Answering System to classify and direct the enquiries and pre-populate a draft reply with sample responses from structured and unstructured sources using natural language processing & machine learning.
||Customised Malay‐English Translation Engine
||Use of Machine Translation Technology to produce a more accurate and contextualized translation engine using past translations as inputs.
| TRANS Lab: NTU
|Supreme Court and State Courts
||Intelligent Case Retrieval System for Singapore Judiciary
||Utilize AI tools that understand the case details and do research by trawling through the case repositories and identifying points of law, relevant precedents and possible outcomes to guide judges. Tool should also provide possible outcomes to potential litigants prior to filing their case.
||Automatic Offence Event Detection over Surveillance Video Footage
||Video analytics capabilities to detect illegal pigeon feeding.
||Use of Sensor Analytics to develop and improve Home Fire Alarm Devices (HFAD)
||Solution to identify and filter false triggers for HFAD hence reducing the incidences of users/SCDF having to respond to unnecessary alarms.
|MSO & GovTech
||Intelligent Edge Analytics for Noise Sensing
||Intelligent edge analytics to classify noise right from the source and to provide possible direction-of-arrival of the dominant noise source.
||Eco-Smart Zero-Energy Street Lighting
||Zero Energy Management System that Combine Energy Harvesting on Individual Streetlight and Cluster Level.
|TRANS Lab: SMU
||Mobile Crowd-sourcing via OneService
||CrowdTask mini-tasks to citizens in the vicinity to participate in municipal services to encourage Active Citizenry.
||Social Media Analytics for Municipal Issues
||Identify legitimate feedback cases related to municipal issues from social media posts and categorize them so that the information could be sent to the relevant agencies for follow-up.
||Automated Food Image Recognition and Crowdsourcing for New Foods in Singapore
||Solution to seamlessly and interactively capture food intake by matching against a database of local food images and accompanied by an intervention programmes to tackle obesity and diabetes through diet.
Please contact us at INNOVATE@tech.gov.sg for the following:
- To contribute problem statements (Please fill up this form
- To use any of the TRANS Grant funded projects for your applications
- To collaborate with the TRANS Labs
- To commercialise the TRANS Grant funded projects
- If you have any queries or ideas looking for innovative solutions